Animals can get into a lot of things while walking out in the woods, dogs especially. Our pets are some of the most important things in our lives, keeping them safe is very important. So staying informed on poisonous plants for dogs is a very good idea before taking your 4 legged friend on a camping trip or into anyplace where these may grow.
Some Poisonous Plants for Dogs
If you find that your pet has ingested something that is making them sick or may be poisonous to dogs, it is important to always contact a veterinarian right away in order to get information on how to flush the toxins out of their system.
Apples and Crabapples
The stems leaves and seeds of an apple contain small traces of cyanide. If wilted these are particularly toxic to animals. Humans can generally handle these in small doses but a dog will eat the entire core of the apple and extra indigestible parts of the plant, which can result in difficulty breathing, shock and inflamed mucous membranes. If your dog has consumed a large number of apples or crab apples it is important to call a vet immediately.
A popular garden plant this is a plant poisonous for dogs. Begonias are pink leaved flowers with a spiny leaf surrounding. The leaves and plant can cause severe oral irritation in dogs, to the point of vomiting or being unable to consume any food. These plants can result in a dog being unable to gain any nutrients and becoming very unhealthy as a result of the irritation.
A small white flowering plant is also a popular garden and house plant with small, thin vines and small leaves. Ingesting any part of the plant can be quite toxic to a dog causing vomiting and diarrhea which can lead to dehydration.
The common daisy can be found growing naturally in the wild and also in many gardens and indoor potted plant arrangements. Daisies are poisonous to dogs which can cause rashes, diarrhea and vomiting. All of the irritants combined can cause a dog to constantly be itching meaning that they will be unable to rest. With a dog consistently vomiting and having diarrhea can lead to extreme dehydration.
Irises are used in many flower arrangements and sometimes grow in the wild as well. They are a purple flower with large leaves usually with a white and then yellow inner structure to the leaves. Irises can be poison to dogs and result in vomiting and lethargy. Similar to flu like symptoms it is important to contact professional help if your dog ever eats irises.
Lilly of the Valley
These small bell shaped flowers extending downward from spear shaped leaves can cause severe sickness in dogs and animals. Of all of the poisonous plants for dogs this is one of the worst. Growing naturally as a wild flower these lilies can cause a dog to behave as if they are in a coma, as well as an irregular heart beat, low blood pressure and vomiting. It is imperative that you contact an animal poison control or a veterinarian immediately as eating this plant can be fatal to a dog.
Knowing the plants which are poisonous for dogs is an important part of pet ownership. Before walking your dog in an area where these plants grow, or planting them in your garden, it is important to know the symptoms to watch for and to contact a vet immediately. These are just a few of the plants which can be harmful to dogs, there are more comprehensive lists which can be found online.
If you think your pet has been poisoned be sure to retrace steps and figure out what they may have been exposed to. The more informed a vet is the better chance your dog will have for quickly getting back on their feet and returning to their healthy active old selves.